Research and Statistics
- 53% of women who experienced domestic violence reported the deliberate injury or killing of their companion animal (Gullone, 1994).
- 19% of women who experienced domestic violence reported that their children had abused a pet.
- 88% of families receiving services for child abuse had also abused their pets (Davidson, 1988).
- 96% of animal abusers had also abused children (Humane Society, 2002).
- Children exposed to domestic violence are three times more likely to engage in acts of animal abuse than their peers (Baldry 2005 and Currie 2006).
Articles & Reports
Like pet, like partner: links between animal abuse and domestic violence (Sydney Morning Herald)
Intimate partner violence and companion animal welfare (Australian Veterinary Journal)
Abusers of animals are five times as likely to harm humans” The Animal Legal Defense Fund USA (Animal Legal Defense Fund)
Building Animal Relationships with Kids (BARK) (Report by Estée-Mathilde Lambin)